Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bulletin Board Make Over and Apt Updates

I think my nesting hormones are starting to kick in and I have felt the need to update many things in our apartment. This is not the easiest task when there is not a Target or any other store to buy cute pillows or fabric. So I had to get a bit on the creative side. I found inspiration to update our bulletin board from Honey We're Home .  It was serving its function but looking a bit bland in our kitchen.
I ordered 2 yards of Lovely Lattice fabric from fabric.com and a lady that works with my dad was nice enough to deliver it to me in Zurich. I ordered extra so I could make a runner for our kitchen table. First, I spray painted the frame of the board in a gray color. The selection of spray paint here is very slim and the title is in German so I have no idea what kind I bought.
I had paper taped on the board so the paint would not get on the cork but it was a windy day and I was tired of fighting with the paper so this is how it ended up.

Next I traced the fabric to fit the board. Then I ironed it a couple times and glued it onto the board.
Then I tried adding white tumb tacks for the border but they didn't look right with the off white in the fabric so I decided to spray paint them gray. I did not realize how time comsuming spray painting tacks is but it was worth it.



Here is my crazy contraption in the process. I tried putting them in the box, spraying then shaking the box to get the pins at a different angle but they were getting all sticky. So here was the solution. 400 pins put into a card board box to paint. I was pretty proud of my creativity here.
The view from my bedroom window of the crazy set up drying. I also spray painted our desk organizer to match.


And the final product!

With the left over fabric from the bulletin board I decided to make a runner for our kitchen table. The table is nothing fancy so this brightens it up a little bit. I just used Stitch Witchery to put it together which was very easy and it seems to be holding up well.

Since the kitchen got a change, the family room needed one too. I ordered 4 pillow covers from etsy.com in the same Lovely Latice fabric. My Dad's coworker also brought these over for us. I just had to buy 4 inserts from Ikea and a new look for the family room.

Ordering the pillow covers was such a easy and reasonable way to change up a room. When you only have one room to in your apartment besides the bedroom it gets a little boring after a while. I will definatley be switching out pillow covers to change things up from time to time.

I also ordered this needle point pillow from zulily. I actually ordered two so we would have one on each couch. But one never showed up. I was pretty dissapointed but there are not any others in stock :(

Now if we could just figure out a way to make our pictures stay on the wall. The walls are cemement so drilling is a big process and one we will have to fix when we move out. Velcro had been working for a couple months but now it keeps giving out.

The pink paper on the wall is for a picture project coming soon. You can see the frames next to the couch. Now I just need to find a way to order the correct size pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment